Saturday, June 21, 2008

Air Conditioning and The Boy.

I have a problem. John doesn't believe in air conditioning.

We don't actually live together, but we're always at each other's apartments, and it's rare that we spend more than one night apart. At his place, it's bearable, because somehow his apartment stays relatively cool. And he has a fan in the window. And besides, it's his place -- I can't really demand that he get an AC just for me.

My place is a different story. I live in a kind of crummy, pre-war apartment building, that gets UNBEARABLY hot. So I installed my AC a couple weeks ago (well, actually he did it for me, because it's a big heavy thing). Now, I know we are going through an energy crisis. Plus, my roommate and I are totally broke, and can't afford an expensive electric bill. So even though I'd LIKE to keep the AC at 72 all the time, I can't. I think 79 is a good temperature, and I put it on "Power Saver" when we go to bed, which regulates the temperature of the room and goes off when the room goes above 79. And with this, he gets COLD. I just don't get it.

The one thing I miss about the apartment I lived in last summer was the air conditioning. My landlord was ripping me off on the rent, but everything was included - So I would set the timer on my AC to go on an hour before I got home from work, at like 65 F, and I would come back home and open the door to my room... And it was like a nice cool refrigerator. Mmmm.

Am I never going to get that again?? What am I supposed to do when I move back in with John?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're both trying to accommodate each other, which is fabulous. He doesn't like AC, but he installed yours for you. You seem concerned that he's cold. That's going to be the key for a lot of things you'll go through together.

Perhaps you two can trade off? Odd days he sucks it up and wears a sweater, even days you suck it up and wear a cooling scarf? You know, the kind with the crystals that you freeze and the wrap around your neck. Or find a temperature that you can both accept?

You might want to experiment and see if there is a way to control the air flow to make it good for both of you. I know if I close certain windows and open others, the cross draft is amazing, opening more windows hurts more than it helps.

Good luck.